Staying on Track With Your Fitness Goals Over Thanksgiving Break
Just because you're taking a break from classes doesn't mean you should take a break from your health goals. Here is how you can enjoy yourself over Thanksgiving break while staying on track fitness-wise.
1. Practice moderation while eating. It’s easy to get carried away when you see a full table of Thanksgiving food ahead of you. This year, choose a smaller plate, instead of a larger one. Try waiting a couple more minutes before grabbing seconds. In addition, make sure to reach for some fruits and vegetables to keep up your metabolism and motivation over the holiday break. Have any questions about healthy eating? Schedule a session with one of our nutritionists before you leave!
2. Register for a Turkey Trot! Rise to the challenge and sign up for a race with your family and friends on Thanksgiving morning! Click here to find a Turkey Trot in your area. Crossing that finish line is just one more thing to be thankful for during this time of the year!
3. Remember to relax. Stressed out because it’s your first time back home for the semester? Have to help clean the house and set up the dinner table for your guests? Take a deep breath. Practicing mindfulness is a great way to relieve stress and improve your overall health, especially during stressful times such as the holidays. Practicing deep breathing exercises, doing some yoga, or even spending some alone time in your room are all excellent ways to relax your body and mind.
4. Include your family! Invite your relatives on a walk around the neighborhood after you finish eating to help facilitate digestion and stay active at the same time. If you are feeling particularly adventurous, suggest a game of flag football or capture the flag with your siblings or cousins out in the backyard!
5. Above all, don’t get discouraged. Feel free to take a breather! Just because you take a break during break doesn't mean you're throwing away your healthy habits - those are here to stay. Enjoying some homemade gravy, mashed potatoes, and pumpkin pie will not destroy your fitness regimen and progress. You can resume physical activity and healthy eating as soon as possible so that it does not become a habit!
Maddie Devine is a third-year student in the College and a member of the IM-Rec Sports marketing team.